Distract to deceive (November 3, 2016)
A good magician only needs to learn one rule,
distract to deceive. If that’s the case, then apparently Liberty Utility is very good at magic. Take for instance their latest flier.
Measure W could crush Apple Valley with debt reaching $200 million or more. That is not what W does at all! Measure W is a vote by the people of Apple Valley to move ahead with taking back our water from a foreign corporation.
In Liberty’s own ads to potential investors, they show profits rising 14 percent a year. That means our bills continue to climb with no end in sight so rich investors around the world can get richer and our water will get more expensive. That seems like a continuous
tax increase without a vote to me. Liberty has already spent about $200,000 to promote Measure V and stop Measure W and this is only for the first reporting period. If history is any indication, the final total could easily double. But they don’t care because they will include all their
cost of doing business in the next rate increase to the California Public Utilities Commission.
In Liberty’s ads, they say a vote for V is
The only measure that guarantees your right to vote. Of Measure W, they say,
Don’t let the politicians take away your right to vote. That’s simply not true! Distract to deceive! Approved in 1996, Proposition 218 gave taxpayers the right to vote on all local taxes, and requires taxpayer approval of property related assessments and fees.
It seems obvious why Liberty playing the
distract to deceive game. Now if Liberty really cared more about us and less about their foreign investors, they’d let us vote on their rate increases. But then, that is what Measure W let’s us do.
Rick Piercy, Apple Valley
Source: Daily Press
Files related to Measure V
- 20150913 Commentary: Apple Valley water takeover plan: Know the full cost (Coupal)
- 20160621 Measure V
- 20160726 TOAV staff report on Measure V
- 20160831 Best supporters money can buy
- 20160831 Serious omission
- 20160831 Town paid more than $50K for ballot measure
- 20160904 Letter: Peter Allen supporting Measure V (Nassif)
- 20160906 Town business practices
- 20160908 Letter: Don’t waste your vote (Carloni)
- 20160911 Letter: Measure Waste (Carloni)
- 20160918 Our View: The right to vote on big projects
- 20160919 Support Measure V
- 20160923 Opinion: Measure V is for voting to ensure government is accountable (Mann)
- 20160924 Letter: Measure W (Piercy)
- 20160925 Opinion: Measure V respects Liberty Utilities customers’ rights (Sorensen)
- 20160929 Letter: Time to go (Varga)
- 20161002 Letter: Reject Measure W (Allan)
- 20161010 Letter: Truth about V and W (Bell)
- 20161011 Letter: The measure of a man (Varga)
- 20161018 Will Apple Valley become California’s Flint, MI?
- 20161020 Yes on Measure V (video)
- 20161023 Letter: Supports Measure V (Schappert)
- 20161025 Diving into the shallow waters of Measure W
- 20161102 Letter: Measure of a man (McCarthy)
- 20161102 No water in Measure W
- 20161103 More Measure W misdirection
- 20161103 No on W, Yes on V
- 20161105 Money flows like water
- 20161111 Letter: Diving into shallow ‘W’ater
- 20161111 Measure V garnered 2,319 more yes votes than Measure W
- 20161113 Tuesday’s election results
- 20161114 Measures V and W
- 20161115 Polls and votes
- 20161121 Voters show they want a say in water takeover issue (Hanson)