Truth about V and W (October 10, 2016)
Don’t you think it is wise to place a reasonable limit on the ability of the Apple Valley Town Council to encumber the taxpaying citizens with millions of dollars of long-term debt prior to a vote of the people on the specifics of the long-term debt being entered into?
Measure V does just that. We, the voters, are giving the Apple Valley Town Council a reasonable limit on its ability to encumber the taxpaying public, without further input by way of a vote on any purchase above the reasonable limit placed on them by the terms of Prop V.
The AVTC and staff, of course, want
a blank check so that if the cost to acquire the H2O company far exceeds the
low ball estimate they have projected is much higher, they may be able to either outright purchase or if that doesn’t work, fund it incrementally.
Measure W, on the other hand, will prevent the taxpaying public from having the ability to place reasonable control on the AVTC to incur long-term debt in the future.
Whether or not the AVTC, with approval of the vote of the people, determines to go ahead with the purchase of the H2O Co., the final decision as to the purchase price, and method and terms of the purchase, will still be in the hands of the taxpaying citizenry, not the AVTC alone.
Measure V must pass, and Measure W must fail to pass for the taxpaying citizenry to maintain control of the situation. Given the lack of candor on the part of the AVTC and staff, and the amount of opposition by many to the purchase by eminent domain of the Liberty Utilities (Water Co.), it behooves us as voters to retain control until the exact purchase price and terms and conditions under which we are to commit to such a large amount of long-term debt. Especially as last admitted by AVTC, no reduction in the cost of water.
Lee Bell, Apple Valley
Source: Daily Press
Files related to Measure V
- 20150913 Commentary: Apple Valley water takeover plan: Know the full cost (Coupal)
- 20160621 Measure V
- 20160726 TOAV staff report on Measure V
- 20160831 Best supporters money can buy
- 20160831 Serious omission
- 20160831 Town paid more than $50K for ballot measure
- 20160904 Letter: Peter Allen supporting Measure V (Nassif)
- 20160906 Town business practices
- 20160908 Letter: Don’t waste your vote (Carloni)
- 20160911 Letter: Measure Waste (Carloni)
- 20160918 Our View: The right to vote on big projects
- 20160919 Support Measure V
- 20160923 Opinion: Measure V is for voting to ensure government is accountable (Mann)
- 20160924 Letter: Measure W (Piercy)
- 20160925 Opinion: Measure V respects Liberty Utilities customers’ rights (Sorensen)
- 20160929 Letter: Time to go (Varga)
- 20161002 Letter: Reject Measure W (Allan)
- 20161010 Letter: Truth about V and W (Bell)
- 20161011 Letter: The measure of a man (Varga)
- 20161018 Will Apple Valley become California’s Flint, MI?
- 20161020 Yes on Measure V (video)
- 20161023 Letter: Supports Measure V (Schappert)
- 20161025 Diving into the shallow waters of Measure W
- 20161102 Letter: Measure of a man (McCarthy)
- 20161102 No water in Measure W
- 20161103 More Measure W misdirection
- 20161103 No on W, Yes on V
- 20161105 Money flows like water
- 20161111 Letter: Diving into shallow ‘W’ater
- 20161111 Measure V garnered 2,319 more yes votes than Measure W
- 20161113 Tuesday’s election results
- 20161114 Measures V and W
- 20161115 Polls and votes
- 20161121 Voters show they want a say in water takeover issue (Hanson)