Serious omission (August 31, 2016)
Your article about the monies spent by the Town to create its own ballot measure contains a serious omission (
Town paid more than $50K for ballot measure, Daily Press, August 31, 2016). You report that the Town’s Measure W and the voter-initiated Measure V would each offer
similar oversight. This is what the Town would like everyone to believe, but it is far from accurate.
For years the Town has been trumpeting the benefit of
local control that would be afforded by the takeover of our water company. In fact, it has utterly ignored the pleas of vast numbers of Apple Valley residents who oppose this insane jihad. The voter-initiated Measure V would provide at least a chance at local control (by residents), but as might be expected from the history of its actions on this matter, the Town opposes it. Worse, the Town’s Measure W would actually diminish if not eliminate local control.
The Town’s Measure W promises a public hearing before obtaining public financing. The Town is already obligated to do this, so Measure W offers no new protection.
The Town’s Measure W promises an annual independent audit. The Town is already obligated to do this, so Measure W offers no new protection.
The Town’s Measure W is thus just another cynical attempt by the demagogues running the Town to muddy the issues, with the added goal of splitting the vote so voter-initiated Measure V will fail.
Given the Town’s miserable track record in following existing laws, yet more promises to follow the law do not represent protections to the residents of Apple Valley. Passing voter-initiated Measure V is a good start, but really what is needed is new blood on the incestuous Town Council, and a thorough house-cleaning of their financial indiscretions.
— Greg Raven is Co-Chair of Apple Valley Citizens for Government Accountability, and is concerned about quality of life issues.
Files related to Measure V
- 20150913 Commentary: Apple Valley water takeover plan: Know the full cost (Coupal)
- 20160621 Measure V
- 20160726 TOAV staff report on Measure V
- 20160831 Best supporters money can buy
- 20160831 Serious omission
- 20160831 Town paid more than $50K for ballot measure
- 20160904 Letter: Peter Allen supporting Measure V (Nassif)
- 20160906 Town business practices
- 20160908 Letter: Don’t waste your vote (Carloni)
- 20160911 Letter: Measure Waste (Carloni)
- 20160918 Our View: The right to vote on big projects
- 20160919 Support Measure V
- 20160923 Opinion: Measure V is for voting to ensure government is accountable (Mann)
- 20160924 Letter: Measure W (Piercy)
- 20160925 Opinion: Measure V respects Liberty Utilities customers’ rights (Sorensen)
- 20160929 Letter: Time to go (Varga)
- 20161002 Letter: Reject Measure W (Allan)
- 20161010 Letter: Truth about V and W (Bell)
- 20161011 Letter: The measure of a man (Varga)
- 20161018 Will Apple Valley become California’s Flint, MI?
- 20161020 Yes on Measure V (video)
- 20161023 Letter: Supports Measure V (Schappert)
- 20161025 Diving into the shallow waters of Measure W
- 20161102 Letter: Measure of a man (McCarthy)
- 20161102 No water in Measure W
- 20161103 More Measure W misdirection
- 20161103 No on W, Yes on V
- 20161105 Money flows like water
- 20161111 Letter: Diving into shallow ‘W’ater
- 20161111 Measure V garnered 2,319 more yes votes than Measure W
- 20161113 Tuesday’s election results
- 20161114 Measures V and W
- 20161115 Polls and votes
- 20161121 Voters show they want a say in water takeover issue (Hanson)