Best supporters money can buy (August 31, 2016)
Your article about further extravagant Town of Apple Valley expenditures included mention of a support group for the Town’s desparate efforts to seize our water company, Liberty Utilities (
Town paid more than $50K for ballot measure, Daily Press, August 31, 2016).
Interestingly, at least three of the four members of this group have benefitted to the tune of millions of dollars thanks to the Town’s favorable treatment. At the same time, the Town’s total funds have plummeted from more than $70 million dollars to less than $40 million, but I guess friends such as these don’t come cheap.
In line with the Town’s talking points, this group implies that water rates will be lowered, the Town is hamstrung by regulations, Liberty Utilities is going to raise rates to defend itself, etc. None of these is true. Mayor Barb Stanton acknowledges that rates won’t go down for at least 30 years (that is, after the massive bond is paid off); the Town has spent millions already on this effort, continues to spend, doesn’t really recognize the law anyway, and could stop the insanity anytime it wants; and the CPUC will not allow these expenditures to be passed along to the ratepayers. By the way, those millions the Town has spent attacking Liberty Utilities? That money absolutely will come out of the pockets of Apple Valley residents; no ifs, ands, or buts.
If you check out this group’s Facebook page, you will find an interesting post from August 7th, which falsely accuses me of being compensated somehow by Liberty Utilities. The evidence? I
have access to all the numbers and data. Rather than risk confusing other Town supporters with the facts, they banned me from participating in their online discussions.
It doesn’t really matter if they also
have access to all the numbers and data but just don’t want others to see them, or if they don’t
have access to all the numbers and data, and are arguing from a position of ignorance and fealty.
The fact of the matter is that the voter-initiated Measure V, when passed, will provide a foothold from which we can force the Town Council to make good on its oft-stated promise of
— Greg Raven is Co-Chair of Apple Valley Citizens for Government Accountability, and is concerned about quality of life issues.
Published: Daily Press, September 4, 2016
Files related to Measure V
- 20150913 Commentary: Apple Valley water takeover plan: Know the full cost (Coupal)
- 20160621 Measure V
- 20160726 TOAV staff report on Measure V
- 20160831 Best supporters money can buy
- 20160831 Serious omission
- 20160831 Town paid more than $50K for ballot measure
- 20160904 Letter: Peter Allen supporting Measure V (Nassif)
- 20160906 Town business practices
- 20160908 Letter: Don’t waste your vote (Carloni)
- 20160911 Letter: Measure Waste (Carloni)
- 20160918 Our View: The right to vote on big projects
- 20160919 Support Measure V
- 20160923 Opinion: Measure V is for voting to ensure government is accountable (Mann)
- 20160924 Letter: Measure W (Piercy)
- 20160925 Opinion: Measure V respects Liberty Utilities customers’ rights (Sorensen)
- 20160929 Letter: Time to go (Varga)
- 20161002 Letter: Reject Measure W (Allan)
- 20161010 Letter: Truth about V and W (Bell)
- 20161011 Letter: The measure of a man (Varga)
- 20161018 Will Apple Valley become California’s Flint, MI?
- 20161020 Yes on Measure V (video)
- 20161023 Letter: Supports Measure V (Schappert)
- 20161025 Diving into the shallow waters of Measure W
- 20161102 Letter: Measure of a man (McCarthy)
- 20161102 No water in Measure W
- 20161103 More Measure W misdirection
- 20161103 No on W, Yes on V
- 20161105 Money flows like water
- 20161111 Letter: Diving into shallow ‘W’ater
- 20161111 Measure V garnered 2,319 more yes votes than Measure W
- 20161113 Tuesday’s election results
- 20161114 Measures V and W
- 20161115 Polls and votes
- 20161121 Voters show they want a say in water takeover issue (Hanson)