Measure Waste (September 11, 2016)
It galls me that the Town of Apple Valley thinks it can use taxpayer money to sponsor an initiative that restates existing law. Measure W is Measure Waste!
The people of the Town of Apple Valley want the right to vote on debt.
Concerned voters, nearly 4,000 of them, not corporations, signed the petition to put Measure V on the ballot.
Measure V respects the voter. That is why Chuck and Pat Hanson sponsored Measure V. Measure V is Measure Vote! Why is it necessary? The Town has been deficit spending and depleting reserves for years. Now it wants free rein to incur debt, subject only to existing law that already requires a public hearing, a financial analysis, and an independent audit. You get 10-day notice to decide (or try to halt) expenditures of millions of dollars. Of course, the taxpayers will pay for the indebtedness; it comes on our monthly bill! So who is the Town kidding?
Our forefathers thoughtfully built a policy of checks and balances in government. This includes allowing affected voters the right to propose laws to curtail wasteful spending by elected officials. The town has lost touch with all but its favorite residents.
It is time to change that! We need to live within our means, not on credit.
We need Measure V.
— Diana J. Carloni, Apple Valley
Source: Daily Press
Files related to Measure V
- 20150913 Commentary: Apple Valley water takeover plan: Know the full cost (Coupal)
- 20160621 Measure V
- 20160726 TOAV staff report on Measure V
- 20160831 Best supporters money can buy
- 20160831 Serious omission
- 20160831 Town paid more than $50K for ballot measure
- 20160904 Letter: Peter Allen supporting Measure V (Nassif)
- 20160906 Town business practices
- 20160908 Letter: Don’t waste your vote (Carloni)
- 20160911 Letter: Measure Waste (Carloni)
- 20160918 Our View: The right to vote on big projects
- 20160919 Support Measure V
- 20160923 Opinion: Measure V is for voting to ensure government is accountable (Mann)
- 20160924 Letter: Measure W (Piercy)
- 20160925 Opinion: Measure V respects Liberty Utilities customers’ rights (Sorensen)
- 20160929 Letter: Time to go (Varga)
- 20161002 Letter: Reject Measure W (Allan)
- 20161010 Letter: Truth about V and W (Bell)
- 20161011 Letter: The measure of a man (Varga)
- 20161018 Will Apple Valley become California’s Flint, MI?
- 20161020 Yes on Measure V (video)
- 20161023 Letter: Supports Measure V (Schappert)
- 20161025 Diving into the shallow waters of Measure W
- 20161102 Letter: Measure of a man (McCarthy)
- 20161102 No water in Measure W
- 20161103 More Measure W misdirection
- 20161103 No on W, Yes on V
- 20161105 Money flows like water
- 20161111 Letter: Diving into shallow ‘W’ater
- 20161111 Measure V garnered 2,319 more yes votes than Measure W
- 20161113 Tuesday’s election results
- 20161114 Measures V and W
- 20161115 Polls and votes
- 20161121 Voters show they want a say in water takeover issue (Hanson)