Hit-and-run investigation involving Marc Puckett’s Cadillac sent to DA (September 7, 2017)
RANCHO CUCAMONGA — The California Highway Patrol’s felony hit-and-run investigation of a crash involving a vehicle belonging to the Town of Apple Valley’s finance director has ended, according to Rancho Cucamonga CHP Officer Jesus Garcia.
Garcia told the Daily Press on Tuesday the case was transferred to the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office for review.
“They will make the final determination on charges,” Garcia said.
District Attorney spokesperson Christopher Lee confirmed the office had received the case, saying it “is currently pending review.”
On Aug. 25, CHP officials said they had identified the driver of a 2011 black Cadillac CTS registered to Assistant Town Manager Marc Puckett, according to a previous Daily Press report. At the time, however, the agency declined to provide the driver’s name as the investigation remained ongoing.
The Cadillac was left at the scene of a late-night crash on southbound Interstate 15 on July 20 after it veered off the freeway and down an embankment approximately 600 feet beyond Foothill Boulevard, according to the CHP.
A CHP officer arrived on scene at 11:55 p.m. — 13 minutes after the initial call for service — and determined the crash to be a hit-and-run incident with minor injuries reported by Lola Espinoza, the driver of a 2011 Toyota Prius.
Espinoza was treated at Kaiser Permanente in Ontario after she complained of pain to her left side, left wrist, neck and back; the Prius sustained extensive rear-end damage and was deemed totaled as a result, according to Espinoza.
Puckett previously said he was “in an accident” — adding that he left his Cadillac in search of someone with a cellphone because his was dead — but he adamantly denied hitting another vehicle, going so far as to wonder whether he had been tailed by “some Ranchos person” prior to the incident.
When asked whether he believed someone from Liberty Utilities, Apple Valley would follow him, Puckett replied, “Yes I do.”
Liberty purchased Apple Valley Ranchos Water Company two years ago and, in doing so, inherited a longstanding battle for ownership of the water system that town officials say stemmed from years of rate increases that left customers paying substantially higher water rates.
Currently, that battle is locked in eminent-domain litigation with a trial setting conference scheduled for Oct. 20, court records show.
Initially, town officials failed to respond to a question about Puckett’s comments; however, Interim Town Manager Lori Lamson rectified that after a second inquiry was sent by this newspaper.
“The town is not privy to any information suggesting that Liberty Utilities had any involvement in this matter,” she said via email.
Greg Sorensen, president of the water company’s western region, previously called Puckett’s statement “false and disrespectful” to Liberty employees.
Meanwhile, the identity of the Cadillac’s driver was not included in an otherwise detailed report of the crash, and Officer Garcia has not responded to a request for the identity.
For his part, Lee said he had no details related to the driver’s identity.
“Even if I did, I wouldn’t be able to confirm anything as long as it is pending (review by the DA’s office),” he said.
CHP officials previously said felony hit-and-run charges could be recommended in the matter, but noted that it’s not imminent.
Source: Matthew Cabe, Daily Press
Files dealing with Marc Puckett
- 19920114 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920225 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920303 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920305 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920319 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920623 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19960111 Retirement firm accuses official of favoritism
- 19960403 Folks soaked by water bills may get relief
- 19960920 Marc Puckett’s red light ticket
- 19990130 $9-million pension fund transfer raises questions
- 19990202 Retirement panel urges ‘immediate’ audit of plan
- 19990203 Retirement board splits over need for independent manager
- 19990203 Finance director resigns under fire of pension flap
- 19990210 Former finance director lashes back at critics, hints suit
- 19990224 Flint to boost pension fund
- 19990319 Flint sent tax funds to wrong units
- 19990326 Ex-finance director cashes in on $6,000 in unused vacation time
- 19990330 Flint could owe state millions some industrial facilities taxes have not been paid since 1996
- 19990408 Stanley acts on money woes, appoints new finance chief
- 19990411 Stanley must share blame as part of his plan to fix city’s financial woes
- 19990909 Audit details shortfalls in financial procedures
- 20100219 Personal injury complaint against Marc Puckett
- 20100408 Answer of defendant, Marc R. Puckett, to plaintiffs’ complaint
- 20101227 New finance director to step down
- 20101228 Marc Puckett out — Again
- 20101230 Leadership turmoil
- 20110104 The world according to John Moorlach
- 20110110 City faces $231,000 deficit
- 20110113 Interim finance director named
- 20110210 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- 201102405 Marc Puckett’s ticket for stopping on a red signal
- 20110817 Marc Puckett’s ticket for no license plate
- 20120309 Marc Puckett’s Orange County accident case information
- 20120425 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- 20120703 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- 20140724 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- 20141124 Marc Puckett’s ticket for coasting out of gear
- 20141205 Marc Puckett’s ticket for speeding
- 20150529 Marc Puckett’s ticket for improper use of preferred lane
- Comments for tonight’s council meeting
- The innumerate Mr. Puckett
- Shill crazy after all these years
- Earth to Puckett!
- About those awards
- One PRR story: American Express (CC)
- 20160913 Documents link top Apple Valley official to #FlintWaterCrisis
- 20160913 Investigation: Flint / Apple Valley Connection
- 20160915 Economic Speech (Trump)
- 20161018 Will Apple Valley become California’s Flint, MI?
- 20170319 Trump EPA grants Michigan $100 million to fix Flint water system
- 20170320 Sinkhole: Effort to replace pipes to Flint homes off to slow start
- 20170806 Vehicle belonging to AV town manager involved in hit-and-run
- He’s gonna need a good lawyer
- 20170809 Apple Valley official believes Liberty could have followed him before crash
- Public trust destroyed (Carloni)
- 20170907 Hit-and-run investigation involving Marc Puckett’s Cadillac sent to DA
- 20171010 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- A question of character
- 20171206 Apple Valley Finance Director Marc Puckett charged with felony hit-and-run
- 20171206 A long wait for crash victim
- 20171117 A history of infractions
- 20171207 Apple Valley Finance Director Marc Puckett on personal leave after felony hit-and-run charge filed
- 20171214 Apple Valley Finance Director Marc Puckett pleads not guilty to felony hit-and-run charge
- 20171214 I-15 crash victim seeks $2M in damages from Apple Valley
- 20171219 Editorial: Passing the Puck (Valles)
- 20171228 Town Hall position not a factor in Puckett’s custody status, attorney says
- 20180105 Puckett forced out as Apple Valley’s Assistant Manager & Finance Director
- 20180109 Tin Cup Men (Valles)
- 20180116 Puckett’s dismissal just what the town needed (Valles)
- 20180307 Puckett deposition set for mid-April in town’s eminent domain case
- 20180425 Pre-plea report ordered in Puckett’s felony case