Vehicle belonging to AV town manager involved in hit-and-run (August 8, 2017)
RANCHO CUCAMONGA — California Highway Patrol officials said they are investigating a crash on Interstate 15 involving a vehicle registered to the Town of Apple Valley’s finance director as a felony hit-and-run.
The name of the driver who allegedly fled from the July 20 incident is not listed in a CHP report obtained by the Daily Press. CHP officials verified the report, which states that Assistant Town Manager Marc Puckett is the owner of the black 2011 Cadillac CTS left at the scene.
At approximately 11:30 p.m., the driver of the second vehicle, Lola Espinoza, said she was traveling southbound on I-15 when her gray 2011 Toyota Prius was “slammed into” from behind shortly after passing Foothill Boulevard.
“I never saw the vehicle coming. There was no lights,” Espinoza said. “I don’t know that it was him that hit me, but it was his vehicle.”
A CHP incident log showed that the Cadillac went down an embankment on the freeway’s right-hand side. Espinoza said she connected the Cadillac’s Vehicle Identification Number, included in the log, to Puckett via the website VIN Place.
Puckett told the Daily Press on July 27 he “was in an accident a week ago,” but denied that a second vehicle was involved. There was moderate damage to both vehicles, according to the report, which included front-end damage to the Cadillac.
Espinoza said after her Prius was hit, it partially blocked the slow lane on southbound I-15. Espinoza was transported to Kaiser Permanente in Ontario after reporting complaints of “pain to her left side, left wrist, neck and back,” the CHP report shows.
“What happens in an incident for hit-and-run and someone is hurt, we’ll go ahead and file felony hit-and-run charges,” officer Jesus Garcia with Rancho Cucamonga CHP said on July 27. “At this point, we don’t have (the) driver ID’d, and we’re investigating it as felony hit-and-run.”
When asked about Espinoza’s story, Puckett told the Daily Press it was “absolute crap.”
“Here’s what happened,” Puckett said. “I’m on my way home, I was in the slow lane on the 15 freeway, and something ran out in front of me. I went down the embankment into the flood control channel. My phone was dead, so I walked down the embankment and used someone’s cellphone.”
He called his son, who later picked him up, Puckett said.
“We drove back to the site (the next day) and my car was gone and I thought, ‘Great, they towed my car,’” Puckett said. “I went (to the tow yard) and got my property out of it and called my insurance company and that was the end of it.
“I talked to CHP the very next morning (July 21), and they said if there’s no one else involved I didn’t have to report it. But I got a police report in the mail … The only reason I left my car was because my cellphone was dead.”
On July 28, Puckett said he gave a statement to Rancho Cucamonga CHP officials that day, adding that the statement matched what he told the Daily Press the day before.
CHP officials confirmed Puckett’s statement and said a more detailed report on the crash would be provided; however, they have since declined, citing the ongoing investigation.
Multiple attempts to reach Rancho Cucamonga CHP’s investigating officer were unsuccessful despite another official’s assurance that contact would be made.
A California Public Records Act request for the additional CHP report has been filed.
Puckett, meanwhile, did not respond to further questioning during the July 28 conversation.
“The bottom line is this is an accident that happened when I was not at work, during my private time, in my private life, and I’m trying to resolve it,” Puckett said. “I really have nothing else to say. I’ve said everything I need to say.”
Source: Matthew Cabe and Paola Baker, Daily Press
Files dealing with Marc Puckett
- 19920114 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920225 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920303 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920305 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920319 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920623 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19960111 Retirement firm accuses official of favoritism
- 19960403 Folks soaked by water bills may get relief
- 19960920 Marc Puckett’s red light ticket
- 19990130 $9-million pension fund transfer raises questions
- 19990202 Retirement panel urges ‘immediate’ audit of plan
- 19990203 Retirement board splits over need for independent manager
- 19990203 Finance director resigns under fire of pension flap
- 19990210 Former finance director lashes back at critics, hints suit
- 19990224 Flint to boost pension fund
- 19990319 Flint sent tax funds to wrong units
- 19990326 Ex-finance director cashes in on $6,000 in unused vacation time
- 19990330 Flint could owe state millions some industrial facilities taxes have not been paid since 1996
- 19990408 Stanley acts on money woes, appoints new finance chief
- 19990411 Stanley must share blame as part of his plan to fix city’s financial woes
- 19990909 Audit details shortfalls in financial procedures
- 20100219 Personal injury complaint against Marc Puckett
- 20100408 Answer of defendant, Marc R. Puckett, to plaintiffs’ complaint
- 20101227 New finance director to step down
- 20101228 Marc Puckett out — Again
- 20101230 Leadership turmoil
- 20110104 The world according to John Moorlach
- 20110110 City faces $231,000 deficit
- 20110113 Interim finance director named
- 20110210 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- 201102405 Marc Puckett’s ticket for stopping on a red signal
- 20110817 Marc Puckett’s ticket for no license plate
- 20120309 Marc Puckett’s Orange County accident case information
- 20120425 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- 20120703 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- 20140724 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- 20141124 Marc Puckett’s ticket for coasting out of gear
- 20141205 Marc Puckett’s ticket for speeding
- 20150529 Marc Puckett’s ticket for improper use of preferred lane
- Comments for tonight’s council meeting
- The innumerate Mr. Puckett
- Shill crazy after all these years
- Earth to Puckett!
- About those awards
- One PRR story: American Express (CC)
- 20160913 Documents link top Apple Valley official to #FlintWaterCrisis
- 20160913 Investigation: Flint / Apple Valley Connection
- 20160915 Economic Speech (Trump)
- 20161018 Will Apple Valley become California’s Flint, MI?
- 20170319 Trump EPA grants Michigan $100 million to fix Flint water system
- 20170320 Sinkhole: Effort to replace pipes to Flint homes off to slow start
- 20170806 Vehicle belonging to AV town manager involved in hit-and-run
- He’s gonna need a good lawyer
- 20170809 Apple Valley official believes Liberty could have followed him before crash
- Public trust destroyed (Carloni)
- 20170907 Hit-and-run investigation involving Marc Puckett’s Cadillac sent to DA
- 20171010 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- A question of character
- 20171206 Apple Valley Finance Director Marc Puckett charged with felony hit-and-run
- 20171206 A long wait for crash victim
- 20171117 A history of infractions
- 20171207 Apple Valley Finance Director Marc Puckett on personal leave after felony hit-and-run charge filed
- 20171214 Apple Valley Finance Director Marc Puckett pleads not guilty to felony hit-and-run charge
- 20171214 I-15 crash victim seeks $2M in damages from Apple Valley
- 20171219 Editorial: Passing the Puck (Valles)
- 20171228 Town Hall position not a factor in Puckett’s custody status, attorney says
- 20180105 Puckett forced out as Apple Valley’s Assistant Manager & Finance Director
- 20180109 Tin Cup Men (Valles)
- 20180116 Puckett’s dismissal just what the town needed (Valles)
- 20180307 Puckett deposition set for mid-April in town’s eminent domain case
- 20180425 Pre-plea report ordered in Puckett’s felony case