Finance director resigns under fire of pension flap (February 3, 1999)
By Ron Fonger, JOURNAL STAFF WRITER
Finance Director Marc Puckett, under fire for failing to make routine pension transfers since 1997, has given his resignation notice to Flint Mayor Woodrow Stanley.
Puckett, the city’s finance director since 1992, said this morning he has not been asked to leave his position and is considering a job offer he received in December.
Puckett said he would address the City Council in a committee meeting today and called the pension controversy
contrived because someone is running for mayor.
On Monday, in a letter to 6th Ward City Councilman Mark Horrigan, Puckett stressed that
all monies in question … have always been on deposit in the retirement fund.
But Puckett said deposits — made up of employer and employee contributions — have not been transferred as they should have been for more than two years. The money was supposed to have been transferred from a cash fund into a money market retirement system account.
The fact that the transfers were not made was noted after Flint’s 1997 financial audit and again during the 1998 audit, which is not yet complete.
Unfortunately, I failed to follow up to ensure that these work assignments were completed, and for that I accept full responsibility, Puckett said in his letter to Horrigan, the council’s Finance Committee chairman.
City Administrator David H. Ready confirmed the resignation and said Budget Director Matthew Grady will take over Puckett’s supervisory responsibilities on an interim basis. Grady has a reputation in City Hall for trustworthiness, and he has shown an ability to work with members of the City Council.
That same ability with a diverse council didn’t always come easily to Puckett, who clashed routinely with former members such as Jack D. Minore and John Northrup.
On Tuesday, Council President Scott Kincaid declined comment on the resignation.
Ready said Puckett has accepted a governmental position elsewhere and deserves credit for his financial work here, particularly in Stanley’s first term. The director has been credited with helping to make up a multimillion-dollar deficit by charging various accounts for things the general fund had paid for previously.
Marc has decided to pursue other opportunities, Ready said.
Stanley named Puckett finance director in 1992, after Puckett was dismissed from his position in Eastpointe, a Macomb County city where the finance director serves at the pleasure of the council rather than the mayor.
He was selected from about 100 applicants for the job, but had recently caused headaches and bad publicity for the administration because of his department’s failure to make the pension transfers.
Already, members of the city Retirement Board have renewed serious discussions about appointing an independent administrator — someone other than the city finance director — to oversee the $800-million pension system.
A native of Genesee County, Puckett grew up in Flint and Grand Blanc. He received a bachelor’s degree from Ferris State University and had previously worked for the cities of Albion and Pleasant Ridge.
Ron Fonger covers Flint city government and Bishop Airport. He can be reached at (810) 766-6317.
Copyright Flint Journal / MLive Media Group (mlive.com). Used with permission.
Files dealing with Marc Puckett
- 19920114 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920225 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920303 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920305 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920319 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19920623 Minutes of a special meeting of the city council for the City of East Detroit, Macomb County, Michigan
- 19960111 Retirement firm accuses official of favoritism
- 19960403 Folks soaked by water bills may get relief
- 19960920 Marc Puckett’s red light ticket
- 19990130 $9-million pension fund transfer raises questions
- 19990202 Retirement panel urges ‘immediate’ audit of plan
- 19990203 Retirement board splits over need for independent manager
- 19990203 Finance director resigns under fire of pension flap
- 19990210 Former finance director lashes back at critics, hints suit
- 19990224 Flint to boost pension fund
- 19990319 Flint sent tax funds to wrong units
- 19990326 Ex-finance director cashes in on $6,000 in unused vacation time
- 19990330 Flint could owe state millions some industrial facilities taxes have not been paid since 1996
- 19990408 Stanley acts on money woes, appoints new finance chief
- 19990411 Stanley must share blame as part of his plan to fix city’s financial woes
- 19990909 Audit details shortfalls in financial procedures
- 20100219 Personal injury complaint against Marc Puckett
- 20100408 Answer of defendant, Marc R. Puckett, to plaintiffs’ complaint
- 20101227 New finance director to step down
- 20101228 Marc Puckett out — Again
- 20101230 Leadership turmoil
- 20110104 The world according to John Moorlach
- 20110110 City faces $231,000 deficit
- 20110113 Interim finance director named
- 20110210 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- 201102405 Marc Puckett’s ticket for stopping on a red signal
- 20110817 Marc Puckett’s ticket for no license plate
- 20120309 Marc Puckett’s Orange County accident case information
- 20120425 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- 20120703 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- 20140724 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- 20141124 Marc Puckett’s ticket for coasting out of gear
- 20141205 Marc Puckett’s ticket for speeding
- 20150529 Marc Puckett’s ticket for improper use of preferred lane
- Comments for tonight’s council meeting
- The innumerate Mr. Puckett
- Shill crazy after all these years
- Earth to Puckett!
- About those awards
- One PRR story: American Express (CC)
- 20160913 Documents link top Apple Valley official to #FlintWaterCrisis
- 20160913 Investigation: Flint / Apple Valley Connection
- 20160915 Economic Speech (Trump)
- 20161018 Will Apple Valley become California’s Flint, MI?
- 20170319 Trump EPA grants Michigan $100 million to fix Flint water system
- 20170320 Sinkhole: Effort to replace pipes to Flint homes off to slow start
- 20170806 Vehicle belonging to AV town manager involved in hit-and-run
- He’s gonna need a good lawyer
- 20170809 Apple Valley official believes Liberty could have followed him before crash
- Public trust destroyed (Carloni)
- 20170907 Hit-and-run investigation involving Marc Puckett’s Cadillac sent to DA
- 20171010 Marc Puckett’s speeding ticket
- A question of character
- 20171206 Apple Valley Finance Director Marc Puckett charged with felony hit-and-run
- 20171206 A long wait for crash victim
- 20171117 A history of infractions
- 20171207 Apple Valley Finance Director Marc Puckett on personal leave after felony hit-and-run charge filed
- 20171214 Apple Valley Finance Director Marc Puckett pleads not guilty to felony hit-and-run charge
- 20171214 I-15 crash victim seeks $2M in damages from Apple Valley
- 20171219 Editorial: Passing the Puck (Valles)
- 20171228 Town Hall position not a factor in Puckett’s custody status, attorney says
- 20180105 Puckett forced out as Apple Valley’s Assistant Manager & Finance Director
- 20180109 Tin Cup Men (Valles)
- 20180116 Puckett’s dismissal just what the town needed (Valles)
- 20180307 Puckett deposition set for mid-April in town’s eminent domain case
- 20180425 Pre-plea report ordered in Puckett’s felony case