Town Council meeting (March 14, 2017)
Lawrence McCarthy (4:23)
I was curious if anyone has paid attention to what has happened in Claremont? BB&K represented Claremont in a eminent domain suit that went to court where they lost.
The LA Superior Court Judge ruled that in California the eminent domain law that applies to water and electrical companies [requires]
a presumption of a more necessary use. The municipality must show via resolution of necessity.
BB&K didn’t show the necessity and lost the eminent domain takeover of the water company.
BB&K did say that Claremont and Apple Valley are dissimilar:
But what about:
- The State of California law?
- California court?
- California judge?
- California city?
Our City Manager said
Missoula, Montana, is near identical in size to Apple Valley. But, Missoula isn’t governed by California law, and the Missoula water company was only $88.6 million.
If BB&K thinks there is a real chance of Apple Valley winning their eminent domain take over, why don’t they take this as a contingency contract, where the Town only pays if BB&K wins?
I don’t understand why this council wants to continue putting money in this take over if there isn’t any chance of winning.
Note: Videos neither start nor end at the set times when viewed in Safari, and may not play at all in Chrome. This is due at least in part to the defective way that the Town of Apple Valley encodes its videos for public consumption. I alerted them about this more than a year ago, and still nothing has been done. I’m as unhappy about it as you are.
Files related to Claremont
- 20150308 Acquiring AVRWC is right move for Apple Valley
- 20150314 Expense of possible AVRWC acquisition difficult to gauge
- 20150514 Claremont Water System — Supplement to 2012 Appraisal Report
- 20150905 Letter: Lawyers, water, and money (O’Neil)
- 20150918 TOAV fires back at Coupal
- 20150923 Editorial: Water, takeovers, and the people
- 20151015 Cities and private equity firms fight over ownership of water systems
- 20160712 Public records request (Manning)
- 20160721 Conflict of interest (Manning)
- 20160904 Letter: Peter Allen supporting Measure V (Nassif)
- 20161012 Claremont Set To Raise Rates For Utilities
- 20161018 Will Apple Valley become California’s Flint, MI?
- 20161110 Statement of tentative decision (Claremont v. Golden State Water)
- 20161110 Judge issues tentative decision against city in water system acquisition trial (Claremont v. Golden State Water)
- 20161114 Measures V and W
- 20161115 Polls and votes
- 20161116 Another false narrative
- 20161116 Liberty sees Claremont’s eminent-domain loss as sign of things to come in Apple Valley
- 20161121 Voters show they want a say in water takeover issue (Hanson)
- 20161215 Another costly day for Apple Valley
- 20161218 Time to pay attention: An open letter to Larry Cusack
- 20170111 Claremont city manager getting a $21,000 bonus
- 20170114 Price tag for Claremont’s failed attempt to take over water system keeps rising
- 20170115 Our View: Time for foes to sit down and talk
- Time for the Town Council to listen for a change
- Response to Thomas Lecoq (Carloni)
- Time for a second opinion? (Carloni)
- 20170209 Avoiding the Claremont disaster (video)
- 20170213 Valley Voices: Apple Valley would be wise to work with Liberty Utilities (Wright)
- 20170216 James Belna on the Claremont eminent domain disaster (video)
- 20170220 Claremont resident talks [about] avoiding ‘disaster’ in Apple Valley
- 20170220 Conflict of interest
- 20170220 Letter: Response to Thomas Rice (Belna)
- 20170226 Letter: James Belna’s visit (Hanson)
- 20170226 Letter: Rice rebuttal (Trozpek)
- Claremont public records request
- Truth not tricks (Carloni)
- Comments to the Town Council opposing the ballot measure
- 20170314 Town Council meeting (McCarthy)
- 20170322 Skewing the facts (Hanson)
- 20170323 Letter: Sit down and settle (Henard)
- 20170406 Guest commentary: Government takeovers of water systems don’t deliver results — study
- Who pays?
- Responding to claims made on Facebook
- 20170508 Liberty Utilities radio ad — Claremont (audio)
- Not paying attention
- 20171010 Claremont reaches $4.8 million settlement agreement with Golden State Water
- 20171017 Claremont settlement reignites Apple Valley water war
- 20171026 Claremont cuts ties with its city attorney, law firm