Of refunds and requests (June 25, 2017)
As a result of the settlement of Case No. CIVDS1604968 by Christina Lopez-Burton vs. Town of Apple Valley, the town was forced to reduce the bi-monthly sewer charge by $7.20. My last two bills reflect that reduction. In addition, though, I believe the town owes each account so overcharged a refund of at least $43.20 for the period from April 2016 through February 2017 (six bi-monthly periods × $7.20 each).
I hand-delivered a letter requesting such refund to the Town Clerk’s office on June 1. After waiting two weeks and receiving no reply, I sent an email to the Town Clerk with a copy of my letter attached, requesting status of my request and a reply as to when I could expect payment.
Now, after another week, I still don’t have a response. What’s wrong with that Office that they can’t respond to a simple request? Maybe they’re concerned they’ll have to refund everyone they overcharged and don’t want to start down that road.
R. E. Bonson, Apple Valley
Source: Daily Press
Files related to the Proposition 218 issue
- Op-ed: Privatization not always the best course (Nassif)
- Proposition 218: No real protection in Apple Valley
- It’s not personal, it’s just business
- Dear Resident
- Water utility oversight
- Request for Public Records: Waste water and Sewer rates (KKBS)
- Town of Apple Valley water company takeover
- Is TOAV being investigated for Proposition 218 violations?
- Where there’s smoke …
- Letter re: Proposition 218 violations (KKBS)
- Town of Apple Valley’s sewer rate increases called illegal by law firm
- What is Proposition 218?
- Verified petition for writ of mandate to order compliance with California Public Records Act: CIVDS1517800 (KKBS)
- Verified petition for writ of mandate and complaint for declaratory relief: CIVDS1604968 (KKBS)
- Lawsuit against Apple Valley alleges Prop 218 violations related to Wastewater Division
- Writ of mandate
- Letter: Of refunds and requests (Bonson)
- Verified petition for writ of mandate; and complaint for injunctive and declaratory relief and refund of illegal fees and charges: CIVDS1725027 (KKBS)
- Order preliminarily approving class action settlement, provisionally certifying settlement class, and directing notice to class: CIVDS1725027 (KKBS)
- Town of Apple Valley likely to settle in trash rate lawsuit